Thursday, December 20, 2007

argh! a dilemma...

Well, I got the job. I have to tell them in the morning. But. I don't think it's the right job for me. Heh. After all. I REALLY like the owner of the company, who I met today. I think the job itself would be fun. He prizes integrity and honesty, which makes me want to work for him. (For instance, he said he does not tolerate so-called "white lies" -- as in, having reps put customers on hold and pretend to go talk to someone and come back and say, "No, sorry, they said I can't do it.") And, along the honesty and integrity line, he grilled me about my real intentions, where I was really going, and what I was really planning. Is this a stepping stone, and once I get my license back, am I gone? In my heart of hearts, I have to admit that the answer to that is "maybe." I told him I didn't know for sure and that I needed to think about it.

As a side note, I had to take a grammar test in which I had to explain the difference between "imply" and "infer," among other things that no one seems to know. (Quiet, Bryan.) This alone made me want to work there.

Sigh, all of which makes me not at all want to use him and the job and their training time and money as a stepping stone while I plan the next phase of my career.

So. I think I'm gonna tell them no. I make sense of it this way: since the time I applied (late at night while cruising craigslist) and the time I got the offer, I got the other part-time tutoring job. So I could add a part-time legal assistant job to that (assuming I can get one) and make enough money and get the experience I need. And, since I'm being honest with them, I don't think it matters if somehow somebody there reads this post. Which was fascinating.

No comments: