Friday, March 14, 2008

OK, I remembered, and it is earthshaking.

Well, actually not. But: what I remembered is that the other night I was talking to someone about the emotionalness of pregnancy, and I said, "I don't really think I'm more emotional now that I'm pregnant." Now those who know me well might be thinking, "Now that's really saying a lot....NOT," and I would have to say they are right....I'm sort of an emotional person and I cry easily. But, with that said, I asked Alexander, who would certainly know if anyone would, and he agreed. In fact, he said, "Less." "What?" I asked. "You're less emotional now that you're pregnant." I agree. So....put that in your pipe and smoke it. Isn't that strange? But I have a theory related to this, that I will go into in the third paragraph. First I have to digress and appear to disprove my own point...

So for the sake of being sort of honest, I do admit that there was that one time recently when I started crying in the middle of Target -- I had called Alexander on the phone and asked what color helmet he wanted for an upcoming nighttime bike ride, and he said, "No helmet, I'd rather not go," (??#$%#$%@????!!???) and to me, since I'm carrying his child, that meant "I'm not going to do everything I can to stay safe so I can be around and not a vegetable for our child," and so naturally, I hung up on him, sat down on the lowest shelf of the aisle, and cried. When he called me back, he soon realized that foregoing the helmet would be generally hazardous to everyone's health, whether anyone crashed or not, so he told me to get the helmet. (Whew.) But THAT is directly attributable to the FACT of pregnancy, I think, like this weird protective thing where suddenly there's this child to worry about and you can't just freely not wear a helmet because you don't feel like it anymore because it's not all about you. And this possibly hits the mother first since she's the one whose body is incubating the little bundle of cells. So, what I'm saying about that cute little incident, is that it doesn't count as a random "Why did I cry about that? Must be because I'm so emotional these days," -- it was not random and it's very easy to trace why I did. So. Point being:

I know some people who were extremely very happy, like over the moon, the whole time they were pregnant. One or two of those were people who had some chemical imbalances that were later corrected by medication. (As for me, I have tendencies toward mild depression and an SSRI that works great for it, which I'm still taking... I explain that because that's how this could relate to me...) Anyway, this is my theory, and, um, maybe other people have had it -- I haven't looked it up: certain chemical imbalances are temporarily "cured" or greatly improved during pregnancy, because, I don't know, some combination of the pregnancy hormones supplies whatever's missing usually. Now, for the next part I know there are many interrelating factors, but: This would be a partial explanation, or an explanation in some cases, for why certain women have kid after kid when it seems that they don't really love them that much once they've arrived and/or their socioeconomic situation would indicate that maybe fewer kids would be a better choice. Maybe a woman like this spends her entire life very depressed/angry/hopeless and the only time she's happy is when she's pregnant. For someone steeped in an undiagnosed, untreated illness related to chemical imbalance, nine months of freedom would be like heaven. Well-worth the consequences. Interesting, no?

7 comments:

Mamacita said...

Dear Anya,
Yes, I think this is very interesting and I've often wondered about the chemical/happy/pregnant part myself. Ahem! The Target incident, however, could very well be what is meant by "emotionalness". Whereas another time you might have just softly protested Alexander's views re the helmet, etc., this time you hung up on hime and started to cry. No criticism here, just remembering that I often used to find myself nearer to the crying edge when I was pregnant when in certain situations.
I totally empathize with that feeling of wanting to protect and care for that little being inside of you. The protectiveness doesn't end with the birth of course. It continues all through childhood and adulthood, which leads me to say to you, my fully developed, beloved bundle of cells, DON'T GO BICYCLE RIDING AT NIGHT!!! ;-)
Love, Mamacita xo xo

Happy Birthday! said...

Yeah, maybe so, about Target, but I mean the REASON I was so emotional about it was the baby -- the safety of the baby's father -- not JUST the hormones, you know? Whereas a lot of pregnancy emotionalness has nothing to do with the baby, it's just hormones. Oh, madre, it was a big huge bike ride -- like hundreds of people were on it. It's called Critical Mass and everyone is in a big group. It's not our usual practice, but it was really fun and safe.

Rob said...

i find your theory very interesting.
also, the Target reaction thing was, um, about being over-emotional. not that there's anything wrong with that.
it's just that having a reason in no way makes a reaction reason-able. like, i could punch someone for stepping on my blue suede shoes, and then say it made total sense because i just bought them, and, you know, it was about the shoes, not about me having anger issues. but it wouldn't really be about the shoes.
or so it seems to me.
human beings are actually champions at finding logical *reasons* why they did something that they did out of habit, instinct, or emotion.

Happy Birthday! said...

Yes, I see what you are saying, but I think everyone is missing my point: I'm making a distinction between pregnancy emotionalness that has no basis in the actual pregnancy, the actual life inside, and OTHER pregnancy emotionalness that is related to the baby. In case #1, there are hormones only involved. In case #2, there are hormones AND the fact of the baby involved. I'm not saying what happened in Target wasn't partially hormones; what I'm saying is it wasn't totally unrelated to the baby...as in, oh, I put sugar instead of cream in my coffee so now I will cry.

Lisa said...

I had a therapy client who had been extremely suicidal since the age of SIX. yeah, six. When she got pregnant, she wanted to go off antidepressants becasue she worried about the effect on the baby. Of course, I was really freaked out about this, being her therapist and all...BUT, she was happy the entire pregnancy. Not only that, she was happy the entire time she was breastfeeding (maybe that's why some people breastfeed until the baby is 40???).....

Even crazier, she never WENT back on antidepressants, and she never did get as depressed as she had always been before the whole pregnancy/breastfeeding thing. How crazy is that???

Rob said...

anya, i see your point about it being related to the baby, albeit in a shades-of-the-three-sillies way. said the man who could never understand because his contribution was only about 15 seconds, and then he probably fell asleep immediately. but i digress. the point is i get what you're saying.
lisa, it makes me think that impregnation might have possibilities as a new type of therapy. would probably make being a male therapist a more attractive job also (snicker).
of course, there are also the women for whom pregnancy has the opposite effect, and they attack their husbands with butcher knives because they put the bassinet in the wrong place or something...

Happy Birthday! said...

Hmm. I can see you're not going to see it my way, Bryan. OK. We'll have to move on.

That is very interesting, Lisa. Even more so that she never went back on them...wow.