Saturday, April 12, 2008

Emotionalness; the ten-month myth

I think I posted that I didn't think I was more emotional than before. Ha! Those days are gone. This week I cried because Alexander didn't want to leave the house soon enough to get food with me (he wanted to leave in 15 minutes, I wanted to leave in zero minutes), and because of some other things that are too dumb to mention, not that that has stopped me yet. I'm 16 weeks now, yay. Which, while we're on the subject, is not four months. It's between 8 and 12 days less than four months.

It's funny how many people have said to me, "You are really pregnant for 10 months." (Because you're pregnant for 40 weeks.) You're not. You're pregnant for nine months and maybe a few days. Four weeks does not equal a month. Four weeks is 28 days. Most months have 31 days. So that's 2 or 3 extra days you have to add to every four week block to make it a month. So if you keep insisting that every four week block is as long as a month, at the end of all the ten four-week blocks you have to subtract the 2 or 3 days that you have been adding to each block if you are calling it a month. (We'll skip February but the point is still valid.) So, 2 or 3 x 10 = 20 or 30 days. Subtract 20 or 30 days from "ten months" and you get nine months and some days. Voila! Also....if you're pregnant for 40 weeks and also for ten months, and there are fifty-two weeks in a year, then after the 40 weeks there are still twelve weeks left (3 months, minus 6 or 9 days) in the year. If you were pregnant for 10 months, that would mean that there were almost 13 months that year. So I know this is obvious to most people, but at least three or four people have told me the ten-month myth. So. There you go.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

If I disagree, will you cry?

jay are said...

yeah, hand out the kleenex already...but as you can see, there's a reason that most pregnancy stuff talks about time in terms of weeks. Makes more sense and alleviates all this 10-month rigmarole.

So, water works, good luck. It'll seem like 10 months but it's really not.

Happy Birthday! said...

Ha, lisa, no I won't, but do you, out of curiosity?

Gina said...

and toward the end when you feel like you COULDN'T GET ANY BIGGER, 40 weeks will then feel like 13 months ;) Take care of you!!!

Happy Birthday! said...

yeah, that makes sense, jay are. :) From now on, weeks it is. Ack, gina, I bet you're right! Even last night it was super hot in the apt. (no AC, I don't know about the next one that we're going to move into in about 3 months) and I couldn't sleep until it cooled down. And I'm barely showing, so I think it's just my higher pregnancy body temp, not the actual baby mass that's making me hot... Oh dear...

Lisa said...

no, I trust your math. I'm just so busy I couldn't find the time to get out a pad and paper and figure it all out!!! heehee

Rob said...

AFAIC, the year should consist of 13 4-week months (364 days), plus one leap day every year (and two leap days on what would have traditionally been a leap year).
Think how much easier that would be: Each year the days of the week are just one day off of the previous year (two on leap year). That is, this year every month begins on Monday; next year every month will begin on Tuesday, etc. Bi-weekly would be the same as semi-monthly. Payroll would be easier, vacation scheduling would be easier, everything would be easier.
But No-o-o, we're too entrenched in what we've got to change now...
:-)

SoozeSchmooze said...

No personal experience here..but lots of other experience indicates that sometimes you do go 10 months..hee hee...if you do manage to go past the 40 weeks.. :) but most likely you will have it right on time or early...no need for tears...What was that you said Bryan?? LOL