Monday, April 14, 2008

Zaniness

Alexander's sense of humor is so zany sometimes. He cracks me up all the time. Just now he says to me from the kitchen, "The dish I'm making is called Ethanol, what have you done? -- you'll soon find out why. But you can't come in the kitchen." I did go into the kitchen earlier and I saw a can of corn. I think that's the connection -- ethanol production being not that environmentally sound after all and causing corn prices to skyrocket and a bunch of other related unintended consequences. Update: yes, that's what it was. Some chicken with a sauce that included corn. "There woulda been a lot more corn in there if it wasn't for ethanol," he told me.

The other Sunday, one of our friends was saying that she didn't feel like going back to work the next day. Talking to Alexander about it later, I was sympathizing and remembering when I felt that way. Everyone gets the Sunday night blues or whatever, but I used to wish I could get in a car accident and be hospitalized so as to not have to go to work...that's bad. But anyway, point being, Alexander says, "Yeah, I bet Red Fred (my dad) never felt like that! I bet Red Fred always had his hammer and his ----what's that thing called babe?" "A sickle?" "Yeah, I bet he always had his hammer and sickle right by the door on Sunday night, ready to go! A true comrade!" Who would think of that?

His speeches are another source of amusement for me. Some are one-time wonders, and others are old favorites that he launches into when the mood strikes him. Some are mostly nonsensical and others actually have a point. His "Morehouse Man" speech usually comes up if he is challenged about something. "What are you talking about? I'm a Morehouse man! What do you think this is, babe? You might be able to try that on some people, but oh no! Not me!" Then he will add some substance about whatever issue is at issue. To wrap up, he might remind you that he is a Morehouse man, in case you forgot, and then finish with "You can always tell a Morehouse man one or two things, but you can't tell him much!"

6 comments:

jay are said...

that is hilarious! you need to have the video camera running constantly, that's all there is to it. A true original. Hammer and sickle...ha! Tell Morehouse Man hello.

jay are said...

I just read this again and cracked up again about the title of the dish he was cooking. What a nut!!

Happy Birthday! said...

I know it, he is so crazy! He just says crazy things. When I was getting off the phone with him today, he said, "Bye, see you soon," but I didn't understand the "see you soon" part. I said, "What did you call me?" because it sort of sounded like my name but not really. He said, "What did I call you? I said, 'See you soon' -- oh yeah, that's your Chinese name." Which is not necessarily hilarious, but it was pretty quick which made it funny.

Erik said...

a true comrade! that is truly humorous.

jay are said...

is it "z"aniness for "z"ander (short for alex"z"ander? zany zander. I like it.

Rob said...

"...one or two things..."
that's my favorite. :-D