Wednesday, April 2, 2008

stuff you really like doing that you're not very good at*

Someone asked about this on a message board and my first thought was that there is a whole bunch of stuff I like doing at which I do not excel. Mostly sports, come to think of it. Snowboarding, playing hockey and soccer (OK on defense, but really not that great at scoring goals, also not the fastest sprinter you ever saw), drawing stuff -- when I was playing that online game that's like Pictionary (isketch?) once, someone said, "Easy there, Picasso," 'cause my drawing was so bad... As I pondered the concept, I decided it's good if you love something you're not good at, because that means you're a good loser and that you do things for some reason other than glory or whatever. To comfort myself, I decided these things. So, do you love doing stuff you're not good at?


*I know I ended this sentence with a preposition and I do not care.

4 comments:

jay are said...

how do you spell "everything"? Anyway, let me narrow it down to one or two and I'll get back to you. Right off the bat, what comes to mind is singing. I could rattle off dozens more.

Blogball said...

I like to have people stand against a wall and throw knives at them to see how close I can get to them even though I’m really terrible at it.

Erik said...

there are things i *think* i might be good at, like cricket, but no one will give me a chance. i have a feeling i would also be quite proficient as an insurance claims investigator, because i can look right through people and into their souls, to check for lies.

as far as stuff i've tried which i'm not good at? big surprise, i can't think of any.

Happy Birthday! said...

Ha, jay are. I know what you mean. :) Blogball - that would be really interesting to watch, I'm sure. I think I remember my younger brother asking me if he could practice throwing knives around my head. I'm pretty sure I said no. Speaking of him, that's interesting that he can't think of anything he's not good at. Maybe thinking is one of them. Ha ha.