Friday, August 1, 2008

All those times I thought I was out of shape? I wasn't.

NOW I'm out of shape. Breathing hard from just walking? This is getting very frightening. I suppose it's no mystery because I work out perhaps two times per week. If that. Sometimes one. I think this is my cue to start doing something with myself. Although I generally feel good, I don't *feel* like working out, and my standbys -- running and cycling -- are sort of by the wayside right now. Well, I could run, but it's not as comfortable anymore (even though I have handy contraptions that strap things down and keep the belly in place... :-) ) and I'm so HOT that I want it to be cold outside before I run. And it's not really cold out these days, even if it's not burning up. Walking is what I should be doing. Or going to the gym but I have all these excuses...I can't get there until Alexander comes home, and then I don't feel like it by that time.

I gave up the bike for now (I think I can ride it home from the birth center, though*) because even though Alexander and my mom told me they didn't think I should ride it, I decided not to listen to them because I think both of them are somewhat over-cautious. I think they would have me stay in a locked castle all day and do needlepoint. However, when the midwife -- who I consider fairly liberal in these matters -- told me she would not recommend it, I decided to cave in. :-( The bike was great for transportation, not to mention exercise. I guess the worry is that if I fell or got hit by a car, the consequences could be bad. I guess I can understand that. So anyway, here goes: I resolve to walk 4x per week for 45 minutes or more. That, surely, is doable. I'll check in in a week.


*just kidding, moms

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ah pregnancy, the time of new perspective. Yep, "shape" is all about perspective. And it will change many times on this little journey. You kinda start forgetting what you really look like after awhile. I'm still not really sure what I looked like pre-kid. Its probably a good thing.

Here's a funny thing to me- once having considered myself adventurous, etc. I find that now I understand the locked castle viewpoint a bit. I've kinda turned into a scaredy cat about stuff bcuz:

1. pregnancy messed with my body awareness/balance so much, I'm no longer so sure of where I am in space.

2. what if I get hurt??? ;)

Anyway, this is way too long now. But I'll be interested to see if you have a similar experience or if you'll sky dive again 1 wk post partum. By the way HAHAHAHAHA on the biking home thing. Just you wait.

Happy Birthday! said...

Interesting! Well, as for the skydiving, I've sort of always thought that was a good activity for single people with no one really relying on them. Right now I feel like I would be happy to do it again for the fun of it, but I sorta will consider it irresponsible once I have a kid, so I think some of my adventurousness will go away just by executive decision. However, so far I don't feel like pregnancy has messed with my balance. I have 8 weeks left, during which babycakes is supposed to gain like 4 lbs, so I'm staying tuned...things could change for sure! Or maybe I just don't notice it, but I mean, I really don't notice it. Hahaha, yeah I'm sure I'm gonna feel like a truck ran over me at best...can you believe those (awful) stories about girls who give birth and go right back to what they were doing? I think some girl went back to the PROM.

Happy Birthday! said...

Oh, I forgot -- what did you look like pre-kid? You were "no bigger than a minute." ;) You probably still aren't...
Yeah and as for "shape" -- I was only talking about fitness level --my SHAPE itself (round) is actually quite interesting! I don't mind the belly sticking way out there. What I don't like is the expanded dimensions of my legs, for instance. He's not in my thighs, what do they have to do with this? And I *think* they were big enough before...

jay are said...

I'm in the exact same boat as you are and I have NO EXCUSES....so my resolutions begin right now as well. You'll feel better for doing something, even if it's not optimum.

and as to what Amy shared, it's true--there's no way to know how having a child will change things until your child is in this world, and then the whole world changes. The whole world. It just tilts and shifts and changes forever. But it's not a bad thing; it's just a thing that happens.