Thursday, August 14, 2008

finally! the perks of expectant motherhood

It took me a really long time to show or to show very much. I wanted to look pregnant RIGHT AWAY so that people would open all the doors for me and be all happy about my earth mother fertility vibes. (And so they wouldn't think I was just gaining weight for no reason!) But now my belly is way out there and people are so accommodating. They ask about the baby and guess how far along I am and tell me "congratulations" and all that stuff. Last Saturday we were at an outdoor concert. It was a situation where without one, I would have had to stand for like 5 hours (yeah right). We had meant to bring two chairs with us, but we could only find one at the time, and so I was sitting on Alexander's lap. (He would have given up the chair for just me, of course, but it was OK for awhile.) Then someone just brought me a chair! It was a situation where chairs were like gold because even the regular people were tired of standing for hours. That was so sweet. Then the security people came and took away all the chairs that belonged to the venue because they didn't want people standing on them and falling off and suing them. Sigh. People tried to intercede for me and save my chair, but they said "sorry" and took it anyway. No sooner did they leave than someone produced another chair for me! Yay. Two women near me admonished everyone around me not to stand too close to me or squish me. I felt so protected! I really like pregnancy. I think I'll do it again sometime. I guess kids seem to go along with it, though. Those probably take some work.

2 comments:

jay are said...

oh, nah, not really. I mean, after you finally get to have preferential seating, it's all gravy past that. Piece o' cake...so I say go for it. Half a dozen at least!! :)

Happy Birthday! said...

Really? Great! It's a deal.