Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Music & Language In Utero

My mom was telling me a story she was told about a guy who was trying and trying to think of the name of this one violin piece. It was bothering him to no end-- he could hear it in his head but couldn't place it. I guess he was later talking to his mother about it, and she said, "Oh, I practiced that song on the violin all the time when I was pregnant with you." Which is kind of cool. So anyway I'm finally getting around to putting headphones on my belly and playing music for babycakes. We're starting with some Chopin and Beethoven but I am going to broaden it and throw some other genres in there. But I think I will do an experiment with *one* song and play it for him almost every day and then see if that song is relaxing to him after he's born or maybe helps him go to sleep or something. Would be too bad if he hated the song I picked and it was like when they torture people by playing the same awful music all the time into their prison cell. Talk about not being able to get away.

Alexander is going to speak only French (or at least no English) to the baby -- he's starting it now. Some studies say it's easier for the kid to assimilate multiple languages at once if he associates a certain language with a certain person. Also, since we don't both speak French, he's going to hear a lot of English, so there needs to be a steady supply of French. Otherwise it might get sort of forgotten/tossed by the wayside. Apparently they can also learn more than two just as easily...so we'll see if we decide to add a third one. I would like it if he learned one of Alexander's African languages, but we'd have to be pretty dedicated to make that happen. Then, again, I'll be happy if we can just keep him -- I was going to say "clean and dry" but obviously that's not going to happen -- OK, if we can just keep him.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Your little one(s) will become quite bi or tri-lingual as long as you are consistent. Boone speaks Chinese about 50% of the time to Abigial and she gets ALOT of Chinese at daycare since that is at Auntie Meuy's house. Abigail now can speak, sing and understand even better Mandrin. She isn't fluent by any means but for age 2 I'd say she's in really good shape. Have fun with all the language and music. (Just wait till Daddy and child talk and you are clueless...that's not as fun ;{ )

jay are said...

good luck with the experiments! I'll be waiting to see what happens so that I can feel bummed that I never did that with any of my kids. 'Course with the two youngest, I guess it would've been a waste of time, wouldn't it!! Ha! With the oldest I used to listen to this one Elton John album over and over again. I should play it sometime around him and see if he starts singing any of the songs. I'm sure he's never heard any of them since!

Happy Birthday! said...

That's good news, Gina. I'm glad to know it's worked for you guys so far. I THOUGHT of that, about them talking without me understanding -- argh! I think I'm gonna try to learn French along with the baby! I had some in high school. We'll see. :-)
Jay Are, you should play that CD for him and ask him what he thinks of it.